Although oxygen is a safe, nonflammable gas, it supports combustion, meaning materials burn more readily in its presence. It is very important to follow general oxygen safety guidelines if you are planning to use, or be around supplemental oxygen. Some helpful tips to follow include:
· Post "No Smoking" signs around your home to remind visitors not to smoke near you or your oxygen.
· Use caution around open flames like matches and candles as well as gas heaters and stoves. If you are using supplemental oxygen, you should be at least five feet away from all heat sources.
· Try not to use lotions or creams containing petroleum as these are more likely to catch fire in the presence of oxygen.
· Turn off the oxygen supply valves when not in use.
· Always follow any instructions provided to you regarding safe usage.
· In case of an emergency, make sure you have backup equipment, oxygen, and a generator.